Enjoy the magic moments of early mornings on the water as you learn the fundamentals skills of rowing in a team. Complete novices as well as those with some previous experience are welcome to join this ultimate team activity. Participants must be able to swim 50 metres and tread water as a safety requirement. Rowing is the ideal aerobic sport for the entire body as it is low impact and low injury.
Please note: Rowing will take place rain or shine. Should weather conditions (high winds or lightning) prevent going on the water, training will take place indoors on rowing machines.
• Orientation to the pontoon area
• Racing shell setup & equipment
• Safety precautions
• Fundamental rowing technique
• Development of rowing technique.
• Style correction
• Crew rowing
At the completion of the course participants will possess the following skills and knowledge:
• Gained a basic knowledge of rowing style and boat rigging.
• Gained an understanding of basic navigation rules and river etiquette
• Developed the ability to row with a crew in a racing shell.
• Gained a clear understanding of personal requirements to make rowing a pleasurable activity.
• Developed competent knowledge of the rowing stroke including correct terms.
• Increased their understanding of the impact the individual’s rowing technique on the crew performance.
• Developed an understanding of crew processes.
Participants must be 18 years or over and must be able to tread water and swim 50 meters. Participants will be required to sign The Sydney High School Foundation Indemnity Form, stating swimming ability, before they are allowed on the water.
Participants should bring:
• A hat
• Well-fitting shorts and top (loose clothing may become caught in rigging)
• Football socks
• A change of clothes to wear home
All participants must wear suitable footwear (no thongs or sandals) for carrying boats in wet areas.
All boat equipment will be supplied.
Meet at The Outterside Centre, Sydney Boys High School’s rowing facility, at 5 Teviot Avenue, Abbotsford, ready to row at 7:00am for each session (complete crews are needed before boats can go on the water).
If you have any questions about how your physical or medical condition could affect your participation in a fitness course please seek advice from your medical practitioner before enrolling.